Final Presentation – Gretell Scott
For my final project, I wrote a unit about Fun on the Farm for pre-Kindergarteners, ages 3, 4, and 5.
I. Preparing the Class:
- Choose animals the children know or pre-teach the animals for the song – ducks, pigs, horses, sheep etc.
- Make pictures of each animal for all children in the class.
- Prepare sheets of paper to match animals and their sounds
II. Introduction to the Lesson:
Create a classroom mural titled “What We Know About Farms.”
- Set up a farm display area to generate interest in the new classroom theme (might include straw hats, overalls, farm toys and of course animals).
- Hand out the pictures of each animal to all children in the class. Check that they know the English word for their animals.
- Make the children think about their favorite animal that lives on a farm.
- Make the student listen to the recording of “Old MacDonald Had A Farm”, and think about what animal from the song they want to be. (Then, they will be asked to participate according to the choice they made).
III. Step-by-step Procedures for Teaching the Focus Concepts–
- Listen to the recording of the song line by line; “Old MacDonald Had a Farm” and ask children to join you according to the animal they have selected. If it is necessary, stop the song line by line until they get the idea.
- Sing the song together with the accompaniment provided on video.
- Promote mimics, gestures, etc. associated with the meaning to make children play a participative role freely.
IV. Closure and Review of the Lesson:
- Divide up the children into their animal groups to sing “Old MacDonald Had A Farm” song without the accompaniment of the video.
Assessing Understanding of the Concept Taught
- Children may use a paper to match animal sounds to the correct farm animals.
- Children will match the picture of the animal with the sound the animal makes in the song.
Farm animals for kids – Vocabulary for kids
Old MacDonald Had A Farm (2018) | Nursery Rhymes | Super Simple Songs
3 Engaging Questions to Explore During Your Farm Unit
Flipbook – Teacher Resources and Guide for Fun on the Farm
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.